Near the town of Ella, is home to over 30 Theravada Buddhist monks. From the top of their mountain, they can look out at the busy world below. Anyone who makes the trek up the mountain will be rewarded with spectacular views and spectacular spiritual teachings of the Buddha.
Things to See and Do at the Monastery
- Talk with monks about Buddhism
- Get personal meditation instructions from the monks
- Join with the evening chanting at 6:00 pm
- Watch a historic stupa being built
- Help offer food to the monks at 10:45
- Make offerings at the shrines
- Browse the Buddhist bookshop
- Get a blessing thread from the monks
Meditation heals our lives more than anything else. It helps us find inner peace and calm and is conducive to developing wisdom.
Meditation broadens our perspective on life. It helps us see life for what it really is and experience happiness through contentment and understanding.
Practicing meditation is a remarkable way to develop your mind. It is our teacher, the Supreme Buddha, who first taught us the possibility of developing our minds.
The Supreme Buddha developed his mind to the highest level possible and showed us the way to achieve the same.
Thus, the technique that is used to develop the mind is known as meditation.
01. Basic Facts of Meditation
- Let us Meditate
- Let us Identify the Basic Types of Meditation
- What is Right Mindfulness?
02. Breathing Meditation under Four Establishments of Mindfulness
- From Breath to Nibbāna
- The Way to Cultivate Kāyānupassanā in Ānāpānasati Meditation
- The Way to Cultivate the Vedanānupassanā and Cittānupassanā in Ānāpānasati Meditation
- The Way to Cultivate the Dhammānupassanā in Ānāpānasati Meditation
03. Satisampajañña (Awareness) Meditation in the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
04. Mindfulness of Postures in Four Establishments of Mindfulness
05. Mindfulness of Impurities of Body in the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
- Mindfulness of the Impurities of Body
06. Mindfulness of Elements in the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
- Mindfulness of Elements Meditation
07. Nine Cemetery Contemplations
- Nine Cemetery Contemplations Meditation
08. Vedananupassana (contemplation of feeling) in Satara Satipatthana
- Contemplation on Feelings Meditation
09. Contemplation on Mind in the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
10. Mindfulness on Five Hindrances
11. Meditation on five groups of clinging
- Contemplation on the five aggregates of clinging meditation
12. Contemplation on Six Sense Bases
- Contemplation of the sense bases
13. Seven Factors of Enlightenment in Four Establishments of Mindfulness
14. Anussati Bhāvanā (The six recollections)
- Buddhanussati Meditation
- Dhammanussati Meditation
- Sanghānussati Meditation
- Sīlānussati Meditation
- Cāgānussati Meditation
- Devatānussati Meditation
15. Mindfulness on Death Meditation
16. Four Divine Dwellings
- Mettā Bhāvanā (Loving Kindness Meditation)
- Muditā Bhāvanā (Contemplation on Appreciative Joy)
- Karunā Bhāvanā (Contemplation on Compassion)
- Upekkhā Bhāvanā (Contemplation on Equanimity)
17. Perception on Skeleton
- Mediation on the Skeleton
MEDITATION IS A MENTAL EXERCISE THAT CAN HELP TO RELIEVE THE STRESSFUL REALITIES OF LIFE.
At best, daily life is filled with minor frustrations, conflicts, indecisions, disappointments, and worries, both at home and at work. Living in an urban, industrial environment increases this tension.
Even during times of rest, anxiety, depression, loneliness or fear may come to trouble the mind. When unforeseen difficulties arise, life may seem unbearable. By practicing meditation, these troublesome circumstances will lose the power to upset you. You will be able to face the ups and downs of life with more tolerance and acceptance.
Regardless of age or profession, meditation can bring benefits to your life.
- Professionals suffering from long hours of demanding work can meditate to relax the mind.
- Those working a steady routine can find relief from boredom and restlessness.
- The elderly and those burdened with the illness will not be as troubled by discomfort or fear.
Students, through meditation, can improve their memory, helping them to perform better in their studies. Home, work and social relationships will become more harmonious.
As meditation strengthens the mind, weak physical and mental conditions can improve. And with a peaceful mind comes a sound and restful sleep.
Today we spend all our life struggling to know something or other about the world in which we live and to become efficient in coping with the problems of the world. During Buddha’s time, people spent time in perfecting the instrument with which the whole world could be known and be dealt with by themselves.
In the Buddha’s day, all those who commenced meditation under his guidance were non-Buddhist, and there were no books on meditation to read. But anyone who wanted to really understand what the Buddha taught was obliged to begin with meditation.
As well as the main things in meditation, one needs 4 conditions for successful practice.
In today’s world, there are very few places conducive to meditative development, Ella Yoga Hub is one such place.
The citizens of the world are welcome here to discover the fountain of wisdom within themselves through Vipassana (Insight). What’s more, it’s without any charges whatsoever! The centre is situated in a beautiful setting in an isolated village in Ella. Nestling amidst the lush tea bushes, coniferous pine wood, and green rolling hills, it is a veritable paradise that offers a mystical and serene atmosphere for the meditator. This mist clad Namunukula mountain range adds to the beauty of the panoramic view.
- The cool dry climate which is one of the best in Sri Lanka (year round temperature between 16 Co to 26 Co and a humidity between 50- 70), is very conducive to meditation.
- The windy season is from May to June while the rainy season is during October/November during which period the temperature goes down to 10 c0
The citizens of the world are welcome here to discover the fountain of wisdom within themselves through Vipassana (Insight). What’s more, it’s without any charges whatsoever! The center is situated in a beautiful setting in an isolated village in Ella. Nestling amidst the lush tea bushes, coniferous pine wood, and green rolling hills, it is a veritable paradise that offers a mystical and serene atmosphere for the meditator. This mist clad Namunukula mountain range adds to the beauty of the panoramic view.
The rock face around this remote and little-visited cave temple, which is signed off the road to Wellawaya, is covered in faded Kandyan-era paintings including one of the British Royal coat of arms. Inside, the paintings are in far better condition and completely cover all the walls. There's also a reclining Buddha. days a large number of monks and villagers come here to meditate, but outside these times it's very quiet with just one monk in residence. we Do have A prayer a Reservation to the Place.
Practices everyday FREE OF CHARGE
- 01.SAMATHA MEDITATION
- 02.VIPASSANA MEDITATION
- 02.WALKING MEDITATION.
Buddhism and Spiritual Journey in Ella.
03 Days and Two Nights.
During this spiritual voyage you will trace the beginnings of Buddhism in Sri Lanka. Travel to the heart of the island, to discover the rich historical and cultural past by way of many exceptional archeological sites. Enjoy a rare occasion to practice meditation with a Buddhist monk amid the luxurious nature of the Ella , Namunukula Mountain Range. Indulge in rejuvenating sessions of traditional massage and yoga therapy, while staying in some of the country’s leading Ayurvedic Places. Find yourself transformed by the nurturing environment of this tropical island, with a better balance between mind and body, and a greater knowledge of the Buddhist philosophy.*
Price per person based on 02 participants.
- Private transport in A/C vehicle with English speaking guide
- Parking; highways and petrol; accommodation & meals for the guide
- 24/7 office assistance
- Overnight in hotels in double / twin room
- Breakfast in the hotels
Who we are?
Ella yoga hub is your local travel concierge in Sri Lanka. We ensure that your chosen tour exceeds expectations. Our office is located in Ella and we have a team that is fluent in English language. Whether you want to rough it in a bungalow relax in a luxury guest house in the Sri Lankan mountains or sample a cooking class with a passionate local, our customized tours provide all this and more! Even better our knowledge extends beyond Sri Lanka . Every member of our team has personal experience and expertise on ensuring that your trip will be seamlessly planned and executed.
Our customer service promises:
- Unique Itineraries
- Fair Prices
- 24hrs Customer Service
- Responsible Travel